Through-out winter we love nothing more than coming home to the smell of a slow-cooked meal. There truly is nothing that beats that aroma. This turkey number is the perfect healthy & nourishing comfort food.
Turkey is one of our favourite animal proteins here at Vive. Naturally low in fat & rich in tryptophan, an amino acid which supports the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter necessary for mood, sleep & cognition.
- Turkey – 1.8 kg – you can use a combination of Turkey shanks and Turkey wings
- 4 medium size brown onions
- olive oil
- 440 gr button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 sliced leeks
- 3 large carrots – sliced big pieces
- 1 small sweet potato (optional) – cut into chunks
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 can Muir Glen tomato paste
To thicken 20 minutes before serving
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Peel onions and cut into quarters – heat oil and cook onions & leek until browned & remove from pan
- Leave mushrooms whole or cut in ½ and brown in olive oil & remove from pan
- Brown turkey until brown on all sides & remove from pan.
- Heat wine in fry pan used for browning until light boil.
- Place turkey at bottom of slow cooker, next onions, leeks, mushrooms, carrots, sweet potato, herbs, stock, wine & top with tomato paste.
- Cook in slow cooker on low approx. 7 hours –
- Remove all bones & skin before thickening (the easiest method to removing the bones is to remove the turkey from the slow cooker, place onto a plate, remove the bones & then add the meat back into the slow cooker).
- 20 minutes before serving thicken with corn flour mixture.