3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large leeks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
4 carrots, sliced
6 lamb shanks
seasoned flour (can be rice flour)
1 x750ml bottle red wine
600ml tomato passata
200ml beef stock
1 bouquet garni
Sweet Potato Parsnip Mash
4 potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
2 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
1 parsnip, scrubbed and peeled
2 tablespoons natural coconut yoghurt
1. Turn on slow cooker to low setting
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in fry pan and add onion, carrot and garlic cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When mixture starts to colour, remove from heat and put into slow cooker pot.
3. Toss lamb in seasoned flour. Heat remaining oil in large pot and add the lamb, browning for 2-3 minutes until golden. This may be easier to do in batches. Add the lamb to the slow cooker pot.
4. Add to the slow cooker the wine, passata and stock, season with salt and pepper and add the bouquet garni. Give a good stir and make sure lamb shanks are covered.
5. Cook in slow cooker for 8 hours.
6. Sweet potato and parsnip mash – cut all vegies into small pieces and add to cold water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook until tender about 10 minutes. Drain off the water and mash up. Then add in the coconut yoghurt and keep mashing until soft and mixed through (if you want a chunkier/healthier mash, leave the skins on the vegies).
7. Serve lamb shanks on mash and add some steamed green vegies
Recipe by Megan Crockart