Allergic rhinitis, or hayfever is a condition that affects people all year round, although it is most common in spring, due to the increased pollens in the air. Sufferers often experience an itchy, runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes. The good news is that natural treatments can be highly effective in minimising or preventing the symptoms of this condition.
1. Diet is a very important component in the treatment of allergic conditions. Eating a ‘rainbow’ of fruits and vegetables provides antioxidants that are vital to control inflammation and irritation to the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract.
2. Avoidance of food allergens, such as wheat and dairy can help to control other allergic conditions, such as hayfever. These foods should not necessarily be avoided by everyone, but a naturopath or nutritionist may help you identify those which may be provoking or exacerbating your hayfever.
3. Quercetin. This supplement is anti-inflammatory, and helps to control the release of histamine, a cytokine which contributes to symptoms of itchy nose and watery eyes.
4. Fish oils. These contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Studies have shown that people with higher levels of these good fats in their blood or diet are less likely to suffer from the ‘spring blues’ of hayfever.
5. Albizzia and Baical Skullcap are two herbs renowned for their antiallergic abilities. They may be taken as tinctures or in tablet form. Consult one of our friendly staff members to see if they might work for you.